[WikiEN-l] Frankfurt Wikireader

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Wed Jul 20 11:40:20 UTC 2005

Good day, everyone.

We have been offered a unique opportunity to create a new English
Wikireader, free of charge, in time for Wikimania. This is an experiment, being  done in
collaboration with a print-on-demand company that takes great interest  in
Wikipedia.

The idea is to produce a wikireader on the subject of Frankfurt (on Main,
not the Oder--sorry, couldn't resist). It should include the overview article on
 Frankfurt, as well as articles about neighborhoods (Sachsenhausen, for
instance), important sites (Goethe House, for instance), cultural attractions,
events (the Book Fair comes to mind), and other relevant topics. Each article
should be of Feature article standard.

The book will contain approximately 50 pages -- 48-56 (books are printed in
multiples of 8 pages minimum), and include GNU-FDL data and some basic
front-matter about the Wikimedia Foundation as an introduction.  They will  be 8.5 x
11 and contain b/w images.

Sounds easy, huh? Well, the thing is we have to have all the material ready
by Monday, July 25. This includes a list of articles that should be included.
Special care should be taken that the articles and images do NOT contain any
copyvios.

The German Wikipedia has considerable experience preparing Wikireaders, and
we can learn a lot from them. Please see
_http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiReader_ (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiReader) .  If you
can speak German, and feel that there are any articles in German that are
missing in English, feel free to translate them, but please remember that time  is
of essence here. I would like to draft the services of the Quarto staff to
help with the final copyedit, but everyone is encouraged to participate.

I will be away this weekend on a personal matter but hope to check my email
frequently. My access will be limited, however, so please keep Frankfurt
Wikireader as the subject line so that I can filter them.

In order to keep to the deadline, I propose that we have the final list of
articles ready by 9:00 pm New York time today, July 20. You may want to take a
look at the German Wikiportal for Frankfurt
(_http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_Frankfurt_Rhein-Main_
(http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_Frankfurt_Rhein-Main) )  for some ideas.

I have opened a listing page at
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Danny/Frankfurt_Wikireader_