[WikiEN-l] plagiarism

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Tue Jul 19 11:45:28 UTC 2005

This is a good example of why we need a Wikipedia:Plagiarism page and
policy. Since the 1911 Encyclopedia is in the public domain it may
simply be copied as it is not a copyright violation to do so. But
should I consult the current Britannica  regarding, say Liebnitz, I
may find some important information which is not in the 1911 edition.
For the sake of an example, suppose it is his theory of comedy... If
I then write something in the Wikipedia article about Liebnitz's
theory of comedy I should credit Encyclopaedia Britannica. (Although
more likely I would take the info in Britannica as a clue to do some
independent research, the results of which I would then cite.) Even
with an article using material from the 1911 edition, if it is not
cited as the source, there is plagiarism.  This confabulation of
plagiarism and copyright violation is why we need a page which
clearly explains plagiarism and our policy regarding it.

Fred