[WikiEN-l] Re: Plagiarism Policy, was A Missing Policy

J.F. de Wolff jfdwolff at doctors.org.uk
Tue Jul 19 10:30:31 UTC 2005

There are many grey areas when dealing with plagiarism. Personally,
when I write a biographical article I end up sifting through 4-5
online obituaries and merging the contents without much paraphrasing.
Much of the information in those sources is second-hand and often
equally unreferenced.

Where does one draw the line? When there is only one good-going
source of material and this is paraphrased extensively, it should be
referenced. There are many instances, however, where using the term
"reference" would be a bit of an overstatement.

JFW