[WikiEN-l] Icelandic "fair use" equivalent

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Sat Jul 16 23:45:30 UTC 2005

>>"Article 14. It is permitted to quote a published work
>>of literature, including plays and published films
>>and musical compositions, for the purposes of criticism,
>>science, general introduction or for other acceptable
>>purposes, if it is done correctly and within reasonable
>>boundaries.
>>     Under the same conditions it is allowed to
>>publish pictures and drawings of published artworks
>>and files, as per 3rd paragraph of article 1.
>>     If pictures or drawings of two or more works
>>by the same author are published in connection with
>>text relating to a general introduction the author
>>has a right to renumeration."
>
> The prevailing right to use one picture is especially interesting.  In
> many instances that would be more than enough for our purposes.

*Sigh*. Turns out we *do* have to implement the hated
EU directive since we're part of the European Economic
Area. And, sure enough, this perfectly reasonable clause
on fair use of individual pictures will almost certainly
be ruined come autumn with the addition of the words
"for non-commercial purposes only".

Say, I hear Saudi Arabia still has some reasonable
clauses in their copyright code...

Regards,
Haukur