[WikiEN-l] Icelandic "fair use" equivalent

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Thu Jul 14 16:33:56 UTC 2005

> (I assumed that there is no equivalent of "fair use" in France or in
> the Netherlands, but I really don't have a clue...)

There's probably something. Here's my unofficial
translation of a part of the Icelandic copyright
laws law. I'm not a lawyer and I find it hard to
translate Icelandic legelese.

"Article 14. It is permitted to quote a published work
of literature, including plays and published films
and musical compositions, for the purposes of criticism,
science, general introduction or for other acceptable
purposes, if it is done correctly and within reasonable
boundaries.
     Under the same conditions it is allowed to
publish pictures and drawings of published artworks
and files, as per 3rd paragraph of article 1.
     If pictures or drawings of two or more works
by the same author are published in connection with
text relating to a general introduction the author
has a right to renumeration."

The next article gives a further right to use
copyrighted materials for purposes of reporting.

If I read this right the estate of [[Einar Jónsson]]
would have a right to renumeration if the Wikipedia
article were published in Iceland, since we use more
than one picture of his works. However, the estate
would not have the right to forbid publication of
the article since the material is within reasonable
limits and "correct".

Regards,
Haukur

P.S.

The original:

"Heimil er tilvitnun í birt bókmenntaverk, þar á meðal leiksviðsverk, svo
og birt kvikmyndaverk og tónverk, ef hún er gerð í sambandi við gagnrýni,
vísindi, almenna kynningu eða í öðrum viðurkenndum tilgangi, enda sé hún
gerð innan hæfilegra marka og rétt með efni farið.
     Með sömu skilyrðum er heimilt að birta myndir og teikningar af birtum
listaverkum og gögnum, sem getið er í 3. mgr. 1. gr.
     Nú eru birtar myndir eða teikningar af tveimur verkum eða fleiri hins
sama höfundar í sambandi við meginmál, sem lýtur að almennri
kynningu, og á hann þá rétt til þóknunar." (from
http://tinyurl.com/amb3e)