[WikiEN-l] Re: Re: Improving ArbCom's lot medium-term

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:01:34 UTC 2005

On 7/12/05, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at ctelco.net> wrote:
> In real life such "flunkies" are called lawyers, on Wikipedia
> Advocates. We could require advocates. However our experience with
> advocates is that they pay no attention to presenting evidence, a
> real lawyers actual function, but engage in weird Wikilawyering that
> harms their clients cause. Challenging our jurisdiction and demanding
> that we all recuse ourselves is not going to work.

I think what you're really looking for are law clerks.  The only
reason lawyers do all the dirty work in organizing material for courts
in real life is that failure to do so harms their cases.  The ArbCom
is FAR more generous about such matters than any real life court.
Since the current "penalty" for being uncooperative with the ArbCom is
that the ArbCom will simply drop the matter without finding (or delay
ruling for months), at least one litigant in every case is usually
incented to be uncooperative.

Kelly