[WikiEN-l] disclaimer at the bottom of pages

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Tue Jul 12 13:09:42 UTC 2005

Hi,

Essentially, this is psuedo-legal gibberish. Many people who do not understand copyright and Fair Use have been taking relatively legitimate disclaimer statements from various websites and then rewriting them into this form. It is a sort of populist faux law. There are actually scholars who study the creation of fake legal writing.  It is especially popular in the U.S. right-wing militia and Patriot movements, but some on the left have picked it up.

-Chip Berlet