[WikiEN-l] Re: Shouldn't we kick paedophiles off Wikipedia?

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 08:44:27 UTC 2005

"Jon" <thagudearbh at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:20050709175125.81541.qmail at web25403.mail.ukl.yahoo.com...
[snip]
> Let me ask the question again - is Wikipedia a haven for paedophiles?

No, Wikipedia is a haven for **info**-philes. We crave information. What
people then do with it is between them, their deity of choice, and the local
ordnances and bylaws.

Thinking about X is not a crime. Doing X might be, and for certain values of
X is almost anywhere in the world.

> If so, I can see many parents banning their children from using it - to
> the detriment of us all.

To the detriment of said children: if parents are so stupid as to let their
children surf the internet without adequate supervision, they might as well
be letting them wander around their local red-light district (which is
likely perfectly respctable during daytime) at midnight.

With great power comes great responsibility.

The Internet is one of the most powerful things anybody has access to these
days.

Wikipedia might well be one of the most powerful things on the Internet.

Do the math.
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]