[WikiEN-l] Re: New fair use tag proposal

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Mon Jul 11 22:29:22 UTC 2005

For non-profits the "benefit" can be furtherance of the stated mission,
which for many is educational. The benefit to a commercial photographer
might be getting their work and their name out for publicity value and
public exposure. A copyright holder agreeing in advance that a use is
"fair use" would make a subsequent attempt to litigate very difficult to
pursue. A note that a copyrighted image or text is used by permission
and considered "fair use" so long as it is for a non-commercial
educational purpose and properly credited should be an option on
Wikipedia.

Chip Berlet