[WikiEN-l] Writing with our readers in mind

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Jul 10 18:03:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Rebecca wrote:

> On 7/10/05, JAY JG <jayjg at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > If you imagine that your attempt to further your campaign against the use of
> > BCE/CE using this backdoor method went unnoticed, rest assured that it did
> > not.
> >
> > Jay.
>
> Thank you for pointing out what should've been obvious - it was easy
> to overlook. I agree entirely with what Jguk said about making things
> intelligible in a broader context. I did not, however, read between
> the lines, and *very strongly* condemn this attempt at continuing the
> BC-BCE war by the back door.

Well, I for one don't see how Jon's suggestion is continuing this
dispute, even if it is his intent.

Asking editors to avoid an academic style & try to write in layman's terms
does not logically lead to eschewing BCE/CE -- unless by the single act
of taking a paper & replacing every instance of AD/BC with CE/BCE
instantly makes it worthy of publication in an academic journal.

In fact, about the only person who keeps reintroducing this BCE/CE
matter is Jay himself -- & I've invited him in the past to take it off
list. I do so again; he seems to be causing trouble to make a point.

Geoff