[WikiEN-l] On parents banning their children from Wikipedia

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Sun Jul 10 01:18:02 UTC 2005

Someone identifying himself as thagudearbh at yahoo.co.uk  writes:

> I can see many parents banning their children from using it - to the
> detriment of us all.

I never understand this argument, although it always seems to be advanced
to excuse to repugnant bit of crusading.

If I shut the extraneous details of the crusade out of my mind, it always
seems to come down to asking myself the following question:

What material effect would result from parents banning their children?

And obviously the answer is that more children would use Wikipedia.
Wikipedia as Rock and roll.

So how could this be to the detriment of Wikipedia?