[WikiEN-l] Writing with our readers in mind

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 21:42:31 UTC 2005

On 09/07/05, Jon <thagudearbh at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> It would be useful (if we don't already have it somewhere that I've missed) to have a firm statement that says articles should be written to be as intelligible to as many of our readers as possible, with our readers being anyone potentially searching for English-language information on the internet.
>
> Jon (jguk)

I guess you can't force people to write in a certain style.

But it's daft to write an encyclopaedia in an academic style. No
academic in his right mind would refer to Wikipedia - I don't mean any
offense, but that's just not it's place. They go to journals and
texts.

What it is useful - what it should be aiming for - is to make subjects
understandable to the 99.99% of the world that *isn't* expert in that
field.

Dan