[WikiEN-l] Non-free images, there has to be a better way

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:30:09 UTC 2005

As to the question of "where" it applies -- I'm under the impression
that it applies wherever we could be taken to court. Since the
Wikipedia servers are in the U.S., then we are primarily under U.S.
law, yes? Could someone in the U.K. take us to court if we have a
branch set up there? The question of jurisdiction seems important in
something like this where it is a very country-by-country question...

The problem with treating copyrighted images the same way as
copyrighted text is that not all media react the same way under
copyright law. Copyrighted text can be easily turned into free text
through rephrasing and citation. Copyrighted images cannot so easily
be transformed in this way (some, such as diagrams, can, but
photorealistic images, not so easily), so copyright laws hold them in
a much tighter noose.

Which is to say -- I think we should treat infringment of copyrights
on images which as much suspicion as we would copyrights on text, but
unfortunately in many cases that simply means we will be hurting for
images, whereas for text it just means we have to get creative. But
such is a small penalty -- most encyclopedias don't have one tenth the
images we have on here, reducing them a bit won't put us any worse off
in the long run.

FF