[WikiEN-l] Non-free images, there has to be a better way

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jul 7 09:49:08 UTC 2005

Haukur Þorgeirsson wrote:
> This argument is getting a bit tired. Do you have an
> [[IBM 360]] in your backyard?

Someone appparently does:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:IBM360-65-1.corestore.jpg

GNU FDL.

So you see, giving up too easily is a bad idea.

> It is a simple matter for downstream users
> not to include images tagged used-with-permission.
> Wikipedia articles very rarely rely on the images
> in their main text.

Yes, but the point is: if we have a non-free image, it "scratches the
itch" and reduces the incentive for someone to be heroic and find a way
to get us a free image.  So if we have tons of non-free or fair-use
images that people can't reuse, we have a nicer website, but we make the
resource less nice for people who want to reuse it.

> And, sadly, it seems that Jimbo's fatwah against UWP has
> increased the number of far-fetched rationalizations for
> fair use on Wikipedia.

I consider this quite unfortunate.  I think that our use of fair-use
should be restricted solely to pictures of absolute historical
importance for which there is no possibility of a free alternative.  But
this is not a decree because this is an ongoing process of evolution at
this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fair_use_images

A quick scan of these reveals a number of highly dubious images which we
could either (a) do without or (b) replace with a freely licensed
alternative easily enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1987_Cadillac_Seville.JPG

I should imagine that if we desperately need a boring photo of a 1987
Cadillac Seville, one can be located on the streets easily enough.

--Jimbo