[WikiEN-l] more active censorship

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 21:19:29 UTC 2005

>From: "Nathan J. Yoder" <njyoder at energon.org>
>
> > Well, that's not really accurate, but most blocked users can no longer
>us a
> > different Userid to avoid the block, precisely because Wikipedia blocks
>the
> > IP address when attempts are made to do this.  That wasn't the case
>before
> > the IP blocker was added.
>
>You're not listening at all.  I was editing only with my User:Njyoder
>account, not a sock puppet nor logged out.  If you block a username, it
>has _always_ been the case that that username can't edit.

Right.  This feature stops sockpuppet editing (at least for fixed IP
addresses).

> > If only that were the case.  In practice, blocked editors edit all the
>time;
> > this simply stops the ones with fixed IP addresses from editing with
> > sockpuppets.
>
>As stated above, it also renews it for non-sock puppets.  This is how
>it currently works:
>
>1.  Admin blocks User:foo.
>2.  User:foo logs in as User:foo.
>3.  User:foo hits 'edit page.'
>4.  User:foo block is renewed for another 24 hours.
>
>So what exactly is the purpose in reblocking the original account that
>was already blocked to begin with?

Because the system can't tell whether you were trying to get around the
block or simply doing something odd with no intent of actually editing when
you hit the "edit" button.  What, again, was the net effect of this?  Your
valid block was extended for a few more hours?

Jay.