[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia is *already* written from a scientific POV

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 14:28:22 UTC 2005

Timwi wrote:
> Nathan J. Yoder wrote:
>
>>> Most?  I would say that the creationists are a significant minority; I
>>> don't believe that they're a majority, at least not yet.
>>

>> About 40% believe it
>

>     # 45% believe that God created human beings pretty much in their
>       present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so
>     # 37% believe that human beings have developed over millions of
>       years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided the
>       process.
>
> That's 82%, which I call "most".

Whoa whoa wait a minute before you start getting heavy-handed. The
creationism which is possibly being called "not-mainstream-science" is
/literal/ creationism - the "God made the world and everything in it in
7 days and the world is < 10,000 years old" type of creationism, the 45%
figure. The 37% can be grouped into "mainstream scientific theory",
which I assume would account for at least 15% of the other 18% - giving
a total of 52%, which (unless I can't count) is *more* than 45% by, oh,
7% or so. The literal creationists are a minority, albeit a significant
minority, but a minority nonetheless.

>     When asked by name whether they believe in or lean more towards
>     the "theory of creationism" or the "theory of evolution", 57%
>     indicated creationism, 33% indicated evolution, and 10%
>     responded "not sure."
>
> Again, 57% I call "most".

Ah, but which form of creationism? Literal or otherwise?

>> I should also note I love timwi's qualifier of "most" which isn't
>> based on actual statistics
>

> It is. See above.

I find the interpretation of these statistics disturbing.

>> and is just a blatant attempt at America bashing
>

> No less blatant than your attempts at administrator bashing ;-).

This is the ENGLISH Wikipedia, not the Yankee Wikipedia.

Your survey proves nothing about fact. Depending on how it was
conducted, it may or may not indicate something about the opinions of
the survey group, at the time the survey was carried out.

- --
Alphax
OpenPGP key: 0xF874C613 - http://tinyurl.com/cc9up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,'
and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.' - C. S.
Lewis