[WikiEN-l] Re: Categories and NPOV

Geoffrey Bell truetheatertype at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 22:00:43 UTC 2005

On 7/2/05, Nathan J. Yoder <njyoder at energon.org> wrote:

> If you could provide specific examples of what you consider POV within
> a logical fallacy article, I'd like to see them.
>
> From "Ad hominem"

"An *ad hominem* argument, also known as *argumentum ad hominem*
(Latin<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin>,
literally "argument [aimed] at the person", but usually translated as
"argument to the man"), is a logical
fallacy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy>that involves
replying to an argument or assertion by addressing the person
presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself or an
argument pointing out an inconsistency between a view expressed by an
individual and the remainder of his or her beliefs."

>From "Wishful thinking":

In addition to being a cognitive
bias<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_bias>and a poor way of
making
decisions <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_making>, wishful thinking
can also be a specific logical
fallacy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy>in an argument
when it is assumed that because we wish something to be true
or false that it is actually true or false.

For example:
 The teacher gave us a difficult exam! We shouldn't have to be subjected to
such stress under the course of our education.

It may be that it was uncomfortable, but that does not mean that
uncomfortable things should always be avoided. Wishful thinking
underlies appeals
to emotion <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_emotion>, and is a red
herring <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring_%28fallacy%29>.

 I would like to mention that I don't agree that "we shouldn't have to be
subjected to such stress under the course of our education," but I certainly
know some who do.
--~~~~