[WikiEN-l] Re: Categories and NPOV

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 18:06:35 UTC 2005

"Pseudoscience" implies, at the very minimum, a form of deception (it
is "pretending" to be science). I think that's a pretty strong value
judgment. And most people interpret it to mean "crackpot" and "false."
It is certainly not a neutral term in and of itself. I don't know how
to quantify whether it is more or less neutral than something like
"Satanic lies" but I don't think it's quite so far off for most
people. For a practice or belief system which attempts to be
represented as some form of truth, being labeled as "pseudoscience"
cannot be seen in a "neutral" light. Which is why I think a heavy
attributional approach (what I've been calling a "sociological"
approach) is the only NPOV way to approach it.

FF