[WikiEN-l] Let us not attack sources as unreliable without reason

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Sun Jan 23 16:18:13 UTC 2005

A reliable source will include a specific document and a page in that
document. It is true that messing around emailing someone who has cited an
ambiguous reference is generally pointless, in fact, may constitute original
research. In this case we have a secondary source who may or may not have
gotten his information from a reliable resource. It does no harm to contact
him, might even get him involved with Wikipedia, but it would be wrong to
make too much from his replies or lack thereof.

The question comes down much more to folks who made estimates and published
them in some accessible and identifiable format.

Some folks write books that are quite derivative. With respect to Communist
artocities Zbigniew Brzezinski wrote a number of books of this nature. He is
a political scientist, but when he comes up with a number, say for how many
died in the Ukrainian famine, you can be sure he did not independently
calculate the number but is quoting it from some other estimate. This makes
citations to his work, not as good as to references where the nature of the
estimate is more transparent.

Fred