[WikiEN-l] Re: External links and self-linking to my site

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 07:19:31 UTC 2005

NSK a écrit:
> On Wednesday 12 January 2005 08:47, Rebecca wrote:
>
>>(snip)
>

> If you really believe what you said (and was not because our site is also
> wiki, so "competitive" in the minds of some ppl) then the admins of Wikipedia
> can have a discussion and decide on whether I should leave or not. I promise
> you that if all admins agree that I must leave from Wikipedia and the mailing
> list, I will do that, just to show you that my intention has nothing to do
> with promoting my websites.

This is not the point.
I tend to agree with Rebecca in the sense that you are overly
advertising your website NSK, and from time to time, you tend to be a
bit too insisting on the mailing lists on topics which either hurt or
irritate some people. You are welcome to be part of Wikipedia community,
we need all sort of people to make a world, but I am certain you would
be "more" welcome if a little less trolling. I feel quite confortable
saying this as I sometimes troll a bit as well myself :-) So do not see
that as an insult. I wish that you be a little lighter though.

> Also consider that I have placed links to other people's sites, too, and that
> all the links I place are relevant and beneficial to the reader. On occasions
> where some of my links where removed with a good reason, I didn't reinserted
> the link. A true spammer would just repost his spamlinks, but I didn't. See
> for example [[University of Oxford]] where I posted a link to my report on
> the University's computing facilities. The remover didn't say it was spam,
> and I considered his reason not entirely invalid.

Hmmmm, I think a spammer does not necessarily resend several times. At
least, my mail box is filled with messages sent only one time, but spam
though. But I agree defining spamming is not easy. In this situation,
though I would not say your link was spam or not, I'd say your general
behavior tends to be spam.

> I don't care whether the links will be removed or not, but I just want to
> emphasise that it is *not* an attempt to spam Wikipedia.
>
> I have also contributed and relicensed under the GFDL some of my articles, and
> posted them on Wikipedia. If that's not a contribution, then what is
> considered to be a contribution?

Agreed. This is a contribution. All the opinions you voice around here
are contributions as well.

Anthere