[WikiEN-l] Silverback and the 3RR

AndyL andyl2004 at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 2 16:32:46 UTC 2005

1) Silverback, you were clearly warned that a fourth revert would result in
a tempban
2) the question was about your inclusion of a paragraph of original
research. Readding that paragraph after it has been removed is a reversion.
It doesn't matter if that's the only thing you do in your edit or if you do
other things as well, it's still a reversion. If it wasn't then that would
create a huge loopholw in revert wars, one could get around the 3R rule
simply by reverting whatever text is in question and editing something else
in the article at the same time. Indeed the paragraph was readded 4x within
a 24 hour period without any alterations, additions, or subtractions to it.
The fact that you simultaneously changed *other* parts of the article
doesn't mitigate the fact that you reverted on four occasions.
3) In retrospect I should have either asked another admin to implement the
tempban or, failing that, put in a request on the admin discussion page. I
don't implement bans very often so I'm not as familiar with protocol as I am
with the protect page protocol and only recently learned that there was such
a thing as an admin discussion page. The only time I've used it to request a
tempban was in the case of an editor against whom I have an ArbComm
complaint so I thought it would be better to ask someone else to administer
the ban.
4) in any case, regardless of who administered the tempban, the fact is you
broke the 3RR after you were warned not to.

Regards,
AndyL