[WikiEN-l] Don't push POV into the Wikipedia software and policies

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Thu Feb 24 12:30:27 UTC 2005

John Lee (johnleemk at gawab.com) [050224 23:02]:
> Karl A. Krueger wrote:

> >(NPOV for Wikipedia is not just a "benefit", but rather a "boundary".
> >We don't ask, "Is this violation of NPOV worth what it gets us?"
> >Rather, we take it as read that any violation of NPOV is a bad thing,
> >and we try to avoid such violations wherever possible rather than making
> >excuses for them.  We don't always _succeed_, but we don't give up.)

> Since filtering images does not violate NPOV, I don't see what this has
> to do with it.

You state this flatly, but it appears this is considered a highly
contentious point in itself. It also appears that policies are being
constructed to this aim as an apparent end-run around NPOV, using pieces
that don't in themselves necessarily violate NPOV.

A filter applied by default filters by a point of view, however
non-violating the pieces going into that filter might be.

- d.