[WikiEN-l] Working toward a consensus on image suppression

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Thu Feb 24 11:53:08 UTC 2005

This discussion is highly likely to go around in circles forever in a
day, and I'd like to think that we could work toward something
approaching a consensus on this issue but I doubt very much that's
going to happen on a mailing list. There is too much room for
repetition on a mailing list. Why not use a better resource to conduct
such debate, a wiki?

There is now a page on meta dedicated to outlining the desirability of
end-user image suppression:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Desirability_of_end-
user_image_suppression

To help work toward some kind of consensus the issues surrounding this
topic are split into four main areas:

1. the implications of implemention
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/End-user_image_suppression
2. the identification of categories that would be included as part of
implementation
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Potentially_offensive_images
3. the useful categorising of images
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Descriptive_image_tagging
4. and discussion about whether it's all desirable
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Desirability_of_end-
user_image_suppression

Feel free to join in the progressive wiki-way instead of the circular
mailing-list-way. :)

Christiaan