[WikiEN-l] NPOV and category-based image filtering

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 00:09:34 UTC 2005

Of course, the advantage to a Wiki is that we can change our content
to match the mores of the times, unlike a print object. If this was
1972 we could link to the image, and then in 1990 we could inline it.
No content lost. Nobody too confused. Maybe a few people upset that we
would be ashamed at showing a human body inline. People who will find
errors in any policy.

I'm not sure I see the advantages of trying to really parse out a
hardline approach to defining "objectionable," but the lack of any
easily quantifiable approach is itself not evidence that no policy
should be created.

It has always seemed to me that a number of policies were "community
judgment calls" (NPOV, VfD, etc.). I'm not sure why this should be any
different. In the question of what is "objectionable" (which will of
course will have as many opinions as there are people giving them), I
think that a reasonable solution would be that in the event of a lack
of clear consensus (which is not the same thing as majority), we ought
to defer on the side of caution (linking to the content rather than
inlining it).

The potential benefits though seem to be about equal to the potential
harm in either case—what is respectable in one mind becomes offensive
censorship/content in the other. When in doubt, though, perhaps we
ought opt to not "surprise" anyone with something that a sizeable
percentage of people find extremely unpleasant.

Just one opinion on it, just to clog up your inboxes...