[WikiEN-l] One reason why Wikipedia is not presently classroom-safe

Nicholas Knight nknight at runawaynet.com
Wed Feb 23 10:08:05 UTC 2005

James D. Forrester wrote:
>>We. Make. No. Choices. For. Anyone.
>

> Ah, but you do, by creating and maintaining the list of categories upon
> which to block; this choice is POV.

How? A user can choose to filter on any category they want, or none at
all. Once again, this was proposed _for the explicit purpose_ of making
_no_ choices for the user but only giving them a feasible method to make
their own choices.

 > What if I'm offended by images of goats?

What's wrong with an "images of goats" category? Seems to me it would be
a useful category even without filtering.

> Are you going to categorise every image in all conceiveable ways just so

We already categorize pages in a great deal of (sometimes ridiculous)
ways. I don't see the problem.

> that anyone can be rendered 'happy'? Really? What about when you, I, and
> everyone else committed to continuing with this have left (perhaps in a
> century through death)?

I can't even make sense out of this question. If no one's around that
cares to continue it, then it's probably moot at that stage.

 > What about when we have 10 million image deselection
> categories in all 300 languages? Who makes the judgement call that an image
> is, indeed, sufficiently containing of goats soas to render it necessary to
> be so-categorised?

What are you talking about?

> Block-all-images is a sensible, neutral, and, most critically,
> '''scalable''' system.

What's not scalable?