[WikiEN-l] One reason why Wikipedia is not presently classroom-safe

Violet/Riga violetriga at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:30:14 UTC 2005

I don't see how anyone can object to categorising images and allowing
a user-controllable filter.  Note the "user-controllable" bit there -
nothing is forced on anyone and people not liking censorship do not
have to be involved in it in any way.

I think the on-going arguments and frequently-received complaints
should make it obvious enough that there is a problem and to blindly
state that there should be no form of censorship is just crazy.
Wikipedia is a massively popular site and we have a duty to come up
with a policy - which other site comparable to ours in terms of
popularity has no censorship?  Music, films and TV are censored all
the time but we have to accept that.  With the proposed method we can
choose the type of censorship (if any at all) personally.

The main argument will come as to which filters are on by default and
thus affect anon browsers.