[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-L needs dailing posting limits

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 13:58:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:20:38 +1100, David Gerard
<fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Viajero (viajero at quilombo.nl) [050222 23:50]:
>
> > This list *urgently* needs to adopt daily posting limits. A certain user
>
> Any user can go to the list page:

> - and (using the bit at the bottom) set their mail feed to daily digest or
> individual mails at will, and change it back at will.
>
> Using this as a workaround is more likely to give you the result you're
> after (a lack of tons of stuff in your mailbox) in the immediate future.
>
> Besides, we're all suffering wikiwithdrawal.
>

> - d.

Using an email system that groups messages by thread is very helpful.

Personally I use gmail for WikiEN (and another mailing list), a)
because I wanted to test gmail without using personal mail, and b)
because messages are not only grouped in threads, but quotes can be
expanded/collapsed and messages in a thread view can be
expanded/collapsed.

All in all, it's perfectly suited for a high volume mailing list. It
helps that one doesn't have to download mails. Also, one can keep
every email received, no need to delete. The search facility is fast
also. There are filtering options, so in theory you could filter all
emails from an individual or on a topic directly into trash. (You can
manipulate/delete entire threads with little delay also).

I wouldn't use gmail for my main email, but for this, it is SO handy.

Sorry if I sound like a salesman or gmail evangelist - I just
genuinely find it pleasant to use for WikiEN.

Zoney

--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...