[WikiEN-l] One reason why Wikipedia is not presently classroom-safe

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Sun Feb 20 16:06:13 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:

>John Lee said:
>

>>Tony Sidaway wrote:
>>

>>>Nor do I.  There should not be shock images on Wikipedia.  All images
>>>should be there solely because they appropriately illustrate an
>>>article.
>>>

>>Shall I illustrate our article on shock sites with Goatse and Tubgirl
>>then?
>>

>That may be appropriate.  I'd have to see the illustration and its use in
>the article.
>[IE]

Isn't it kind of obvious? I'd place appropriately resized screencaps of
both sites, and caption the Goatse one "Goatse is one of the most
commonly used shock site on the internet" and the Tubgirl one "Although
not as commonly used as Goatse, Tubgirl is also used on a regular basis
to shock unsuspecting users".

>>That's not blocking them on an individual basis. That's _unblocking_
>>them on an individual basis. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
>>Nigh on completely useless.
>>

>I have no idea why you would say that.  All images are available, but none
>of them are displayed unless the user selects them.  I find this to be the
>optimal way of browsing.

Not all people do. Is it possible to do this on a per page basis? If so,
there may be some derivable benefit from it, but otherwise, it's just
throwing the baby out with bathwater. Not all people would care to have
to click a few times every time they visit a webpage just to view its
images.

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])