[WikiEN-l] Re: Great article!

Mark Pellegrini mapellegrini at comcast.net
Sun Feb 20 15:08:21 UTC 2005

Pete wrote: "Problem is the audio is trapped inside a .avi video file from my
video camera... wasn't there a tutorial somewhere about all the tricks and
tips you can get up to to get video/audio from the formats provided by
popular consumer gadgets into acceptable free formats?"

In unix, to rip the audio out of most basic movie files (including mpg and avi)
to mp3:

>mplayer -dumpaudio file.mpg
>mv stream.dump output.mp3

The first command runs mplayer and dumps the audio to a stream file
in the local directory (stream.dump)

The second command moves (renames) it to an mp3.

Sorry, but I don't know how to do it in Windows.

--Mark (Raul654)