[WikiEN-l] blocking policy over personal attacks

zero 0000 nought_0000 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 01:04:38 UTC 2005

Teresa wrote:

> You want TBSDY desysopped because he  blocked SS-88 after he said
this:

> "You consider the right side of the fence to be on the side of the
> haters. You call us stupid, but you should know that we have a log of
> your hatred and abuse of "power" against one of our comrades. THAT
WAS
> STUPID! Your actions have been documented and have, so far, been
> circulated to thousands of aryans who do not look kindly on your type
> of hatred. You know what happens to people who ignore history......
> 88 !!"
>
> I refer you to the blocking policy:
>
> "Blocks may be imposed in instances where threats have been made or
> actions performed (including actions outside the Wikipedia site)
which
> expose other Wikipedia editors to political, religious or other
> persecution by government, their employer or any others. In such a
> case a ban for a period of time may be applied immediately by any
> sysop upon discovery. "
>
> This looks like a pretty straightforward case to me.

I must be missing something.  How do these (highly offensive) remarks
expose this sysop to "political, religious or other persecution by
government, their employer or any others"?   Unless the sysop lives in
a state with a Nazi government, it is clear to me that there is no
such exposure.

My mail is really about the principles rather than this particular
case.

I think it would be a very bad idea to allow sysops to block people
who insult them, except in the most extreme cases.  The
community will see it as the sysop using their powers to their own
personal benefit, and they will be right.

Zero.