[WikiEN-l] One reason why Wikipedia is not presently classroom-safe

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Sat Feb 19 23:28:07 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:

> the clerical task of sorting images into (and out of) categories will
> absord energy.

Indeed writing an encyclopedia is energy intensive! Sorting images is
quite an important task even in isolation from this issue.

I'm sure you'll be interested in an anonymous users comment on
meta:Talk:End-user_content_suppression:

>> Might we be able to use PICS? http://www.w3.org/PICS/ This has the
>> advantage that browsers and proxies already support it for content
>> filtering. This would involve setting up our own PICS Labeling
>> Service, which could get information from special tags in the
>> articles themselves, or on a special page. It is also a W3C standard,
>> which are always good to follow where appropriate.

So, if this person is correct, I owe you an apology. Browser-based
content filtering may well be the way to go.

Christiaan