[WikiEN-l] The Censorship Lie

Puddl Duk puddlduk at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 21:26:46 UTC 2005

--- Tony Sidaway <minorityreport at bluebottle.com>
wrote:

> Puddl Duk said:
> > Censorship and self-censorship
> > are different words with different meanings.
>
> Up to a point.  Self-censorship is an action that
> can be performed by a
> single person or by a community.  When the community
> performs the
> censorship, the end effect is that the community
> acts as an external
> person censoring the behavior of the individual.
> Again I emphasize that I
> have no problem with the word censorship.
> Censorship is necessary,
> especially if we are to comply with the law.  Every
> time someone deletes
> those diaper pictures, they're censoring Wikipedia,
> and rightly so.

I agree with neccisity for self-censorship, based on
the communities judgement. But haven't seen the need
yet for outright censorship.

The diaper pictures is a good example. There have been
several recent new user accounts that dumped a load of
objectionalble material and left. No desire to write
an encyclopedia. We have no speedy delete policy for
these cases. I think this would help.