[WikiEN-l] The Censorship Lie

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Sat Feb 19 09:39:26 UTC 2005

Puddl Duk said:

> The fact remains, wikipedia is not censored.

I don't think that's correct.  The most obvious form of censorship
practised is the avoidance of descriptive terms that carry an emotive
payload.  This is a good thing.  If I encounter an article saying that a
prisoner at Abu Ghraib was sodomized by a US Military Police guard, I am
informed.  If I encounter the same article but it says that the man was
sodomized by a thug in American uniform, the informational content is
roughly the same but there is an emotional overtone that would make me
question the piece. Censorship is a necessary activity at all levels of
production of an encyclopedia.  No describing people as thugs in the
articles, even if they act like thugs.  That's censorship.  I don't think
there's anything wrong with censorship.  We're censors.