[WikiEN-l] FWIW: definition of "censorship"

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 18 18:33:03 UTC 2005

Karl A. Krueger wrote

<snip>

> On Wikipedia, "self-censorship" could reasonably include choosing not to
> speak frankly because one fears "social sanction" such as having one's
> work deleted; as well as "retaliation" in the form of flaming or hostile
> criticism, others' withdrawal of cooperation or support, or simply
> unpleasant association of an editor's name with a particular icky
> subject or controversy.

Well, if you try hard enough you might define 'self-censorship' by the old
phrase 'man is a social animal'.  I doubt that proves anything, in general.
And from the WP point of view, getting newbies and not-very-reconstructed
edit warriors to see themselves as 'social animals' is half the battle.

Charles