[WikiEN-l] The Censorship Lie

Puddl Duk puddlduk at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 18:41:56 UTC 2005

--- Jim Trodel <trodel at gmail.com> wrote:

> The question is not one of Censorship but of
> Editorial Control and are
> the photos, etc helping us meet our mission - which
> is to become an
> trusted encyclopedic source of information.

Absolutely, this is not censorship.

Wikipedia image policy 'suggests' discussing
objectionable images before adding. This wasn't done
for the autofellatio image.

When someone wanted to delete the image they were
asked to get a consensus for deletion. This was a
mistake (IMO). And allowed a minority vote to keep the
image.

Jimbo intervened and changed it. Now there is a vote
on  consensus to add or link, more in line with the
existing policy (IMO).

Wikipedia:Image use policy and Wikipedia:Profanity
policies seem to be working amazingly well,
considering how simple, vague and open to
interpretation they are.

Just because the community decides not to use an
objectionable image doesn't mean we are censoring.