[WikiEN-l] We may not have a policy for only one user

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 20:27:09 UTC 2005

Again, let me stress that it is a gross violation of Sysop
and Admin power to create rules that apply to only one
person, and to no one else. By definition, when Wikipedia
Admins engage in such behaviour, they are violating their
own mandate, and thei "rulings" have no authority and are
not binding.

1* I am not involved in any flame wars.  So why the year
long ban?

  Not a single Wikipedian was ever given a year ban when
they were NOT in a flame war.

2* I am not involved in any revert wars or edit wars. So
why the ban?

3* The supposed problems are in articles in which the
articles HAVE ALREADY BEEN RESOLVED, long ago!  So why the
ban?

  Not a single Wikipedian was ever given a year ban when
parties amicably came to an issue.  It seems that some
Admins are in a near-violent rage that the system actually
worked, and parties peacefully worked out their
differences.  What kind of sick people think that such a
result is grounds for a year long ban?

4* I repeatedly take week-long (or longer) Wiki-breaks
(like the last 10 days) to let things cool down and allow
other people to have their say without any problem.  So why
the ban?

5* I have taken many contentious articles OFF of my
Watchlist, and simply let others do what they want, rather
then engage in multiple arguments.  So why the ban?

6* I have asked for and successfully used mediation when
necessary.  So why the ban?

7* I have been successfully working with a large group of
others on potentially acrimonious articles, without revert
wars, and with great progress being made on many articles.
So why the ban?

I have e-mailed Jimbo Wales about this previously, and he
was unable to come up with a *single* instance of this ever
happening. Ever.  We are unfortunately dealing with a small
number of people abusing their Admin power out of some sort
of personal vengeance.

If it happens to one person, it will happen to others.

What steps should we take next to initiate disciplinary
action against them for these serious violations?

Robert

=====
I’m astounded by people who want to "know" the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown. - Woody Allen