[WikiEN-l] Re: new user

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Feb 15 20:14:54 UTC 2005

Chad Perrin wrote:

> Apparently, to you, killing someone for being a Jew is more wrong than
> killing someone for speaking out of turn.  To me, it's equivalent in
> either case, because in both cases it is murder.

The idea of "hate crimes" is a fairly recent one.  This would mete out
punishment according to the intentions of the person doing the killing.
If a "hate crime" deserves harsher punishment, then a "love crime" such
as euthanasia clearly deserves more lenient treatment.

> Completely aside from that, the swastika has been used for other
> purposes for hundreds of years before World War II, including as a
> Christian symbol, while the hammer and sickle went from obscurity to
> symbol of an oppressive, mass-murdering regime in a relative blink of
> an eye.

That's why the swastika was such an effective symbol.

>> And also, if we are to begin considering "indirect deaths", well, the
>> US is responsible for quite a lot "indirectly".
>
> Let's not start with the circumstantial ad hominem comparisons.  It
> would be nice if you'd retract that statement.

I see nothing "ad hominem" in that general statement.  No specific
individual is being attacked.

Ec