[WikiEN-l] Controversial articles (was Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship)

Puddl Duk puddlduk at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 20:06:40 UTC 2005

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:38:43 +0000, Theresa Knott
> <theresaknott at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:53:06 +0600, Arno M
> <redgum46 at lycos.com> wrote:
> > >  these always were unsuitable to minors.
> >
> > Wikipedia is a wiki. That means _anyone_ can edit
> it, including those
> > people who like to prey on children. Wikipedia is
> not suitable for
> > minors and will be banned from schools soon enough
> anyway in the same
> > way that chat rooms are banned from schools.
> >
> > Wikipedia is an adult encylopedia, and should
> cater for adults.
> >
> > Theresa

1) Just because preditors may edit wikipedia doesn't
mean we lack editorial control.
2) Removing children from the argument doesn't really
change it. Many adults don't want to run into some of
this content in an encyclopedia.

Writing an encyclopedia should include a sense of who
our target audience is, and this should shape policy.
Rather than preditors defining who we are.