[WikiEN-l] Re: Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 19:53:31 UTC 2005

And what default do you use for non-logged-in Users?  Don't allow them to see any images with tags until they log in?  That's discriminatory.

RickK

Nicholas Knight <nknight at runawaynet.com> wrote:
Tag controversial images, preferably into a couple categories (nudity,
blood/gore, could probably think of one or two other good ones). Let the
user set a preference for their defaults (maybe give them a toggle they
can hit at will while browsing to turn all on/off), and then let them
easily select single controversial images to display. There are several
options for the last part, Javascript being the easiest, and it can be
combined with a server-side mechanism for those that have disabled or
lack Javascript support.

Absent strange coding in the affected areas of MediaWiki, none of this
should be particularly difficult to implement for someone with the
neccessary skills.

(Before someone starts complaining about determining what's
controversial, I don't think we're going to have any trouble figuring it
out. Just wait for the firestorm; controversial images will essentially
prove themselves.)