[WikiEN-l] Re: new user

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 14:13:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:34:16 -0800, the Epopt of Boskone
<sean at epoptic.org> wrote:
> > I would imagine there are few who would directly equate the Nazi
> > regime with Soviet Russia.
>
> I have to agree with Zoney here: few would consider them equivalent.
> Soviet Russia was directly responsible for an order of magnitude more
> deaths than the Nazis, and indirectly responsible for two orders of
> magnitude more.

I do not doubt that assertion, but it's more to do with the specific
circumstances involved. Eastern Europe was mentioned. Well, the USSR
sure wanted to control those countries, but the complete eradication
of their peoples was not attempted (even if less "total" activities
were going on). I don't doubt many in Eastern Europe would not like to
see a hammer and sickle, but I don't think it's remotely comparable to
what the Swastika stands for to Jews.

And also, if we are to begin considering "indirect deaths", well, the
US is responsible for quite a lot "indirectly".

Zoney
--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...