[WikiEN-l] Re: Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Tue Feb 15 10:41:48 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:

>Nicholas Knight said:
>

>>Because instead of letting the user choose to see the image by clicking
>> one link, you require them to disable ALL images, then reenable ALL
>>images, in order to see that one image.
>>

>The precise arrangements depend on the browser design.  I believe the
>experience you describe pertained to some of the earlier browsers, such as
>NCSA Mosaic.  Good modern browsers allow a lot of fine control.

This is *precisely* the kind of crap I talked about in my earlier email!
We are still presuming that our reading audience overlaps a lot with our
technically-inclined editors! While Firefox is used a lot more on
Wikipedia than the web on average, IE is still the browser used by most.
Show me where IE allows for fine tuning. "Good modern browsers allow
fine control" is no fucking excuse. You guys have been talking about
convenience for the user, and users should not have to switch browsers
just to view our content without fear. As a matter of fact, even Firefox
(I'm using the 20050212 nightly build) does not allow for fine-tuning by
default. AdBlock solves the problem, but I shouldn't have to install an
extension, let alone another web browser, just to view a website and be
at ease.

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])