[WikiEN-l] Responsible handling of sexual topics

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Mon Feb 14 17:43:11 UTC 2005

Bryan Derksen said:
> At 08:29 AM 2/14/2005 -0800, Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:
>>Tony Sidaway wrote:
>> > The site in question has an age disclaimer.  Are we trying to build
>> > an encyclopedia, or an electronic playpen into whch people can dump
>> > their kids without supervision?
>>
>>But, consider this restatement: Are we trying to build an
>>encyclopedia, or an electronic playpen where annoying trolls can dump
>>their porn photos without supervision?
>
> I don't see how putting a photo of someone performing autofellatio onto
> the  autofellatio article is trolling. That's just about the only
> article I can  think of where it would actually fit in.
>
> If it's a copyvio or if there are _better_ images to replace it with,
> that's a separate issue that's already covered pretty clearly by
> existing  policy.

Indeed, whether or not the existing picture is appropriate can be decided
by consensus.  Before Jimbo's intervention there were very, very few
people seriously arguing that the picture was inappropriate, and I still
do not understand that argument.  The question was whether to link.  Even
now there is no consensus to link, though it seems to be heading in that
direction.
In short, though a lot of people decry the chaos of the discussion, it
showed Wikipedia's normal decision making processes working very
effectively.  There was a very brief edit war at one point but nothing
that couldn't be handled capably by administrators doing their normal job.