[WikiEN-l] Re: Autofellatio - NO to that image

sannse sannse at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 11:28:22 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:
> csherlock at ljh.com.au (csherlock at ljh.com.au) [050214 11:23]:

>>Out of interest Arno, why are you looking at the Autofellatio article if
>>you risk getting offended?
>

> I too would like to know the answer to this question.
>
> (It's like people who complain the picture on [[clitoris]] is not worksafe
> and can't come up with why they were reading about clitorises in the course
> of their job.)
>
> nb: the photo on [[autofellatio]] is indeed awful.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to read about a sexual or
otherwise explicit subject without seeing explicit images of it.  I am
quite interested to know what exactly autofellatio is, if it really is
possible and what proportion of the population are able - but I'm really
not interested in seeing an image of it.  And if I am, I'll turn of
safe-search on google and search for images there.

The argument that I can turn off images on my browser seems a bad one to
me - for a start, many people don't know how to do this (never
underestimate the non-techyness of the general user).  It's also
inconvenient to have to switch images on and off for different pages
(especially as I use tabs).  And for the general reader, why would they
/expect/ to have to turn images off when reading a general encyclopaedia?

--sannse