[WikiEN-l] Re: Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 14 04:00:10 UTC 2005

At 05:26 PM 2/13/2005 -0800, Nicholas Knight wrote:
>I see nothing wrong with an encyclopedia having a blanket policy that
>sexually explicit photographs not be displayed in articles. You can argue
>relativism, subjectiveness, and "censorship" all you want, we both know
>it's crap.

You _think_ it's crap. Others obviously think otherwise, or there'd be no
ongoing debate.

>We're here to provide an educational resource. Inlined explicit
>photographs of sex acts as a whole do little to educate that a line
>drawing wouldn't do, and only turn people off to Wikipedia as an
>educational resource.

Perhaps you could provide a line drawing to substitute for it? Back when I
first notice the poll on this thing before it had erupted onto the mailing
list, someone suggested that the photograph was unacceptable but that we
should find a piece of "artwork" to substitute, and I jokingly suggested
running the photograph through Photoshop's brushstroke filter. Maybe an
edge filter could turn it into a line drawing and actually be a way to
resolve this.