[WikiEN-l] Re: Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Feb 14 01:53:08 UTC 2005

Nicholas Knight:

I don't see anything wrong with "an encyclopedia" having such a blanket
policy, either.  On the other hand, I do have a problem with the idea
that my favorite encyclopedia might suddenly become less informative due
to strict implementation of a policy enforcing cultural taboos that
interfere with the ability to provide useful, factual, relevant
information.  As such, I don't think I can in good conscience support
such a policy for Wikipedia.  One of the problems with "blanket"
policies like that is that they tend to cover good things as well as bad.

If it's pertinent and not gratuitous, I don't tend to have a problem
with it.  In cases where a substantial demographic does, it might be
reasonable to move it off-page without removing it entirely, if some
simpler visitor-controlled mechanism for "censoring" the visible content
is not available.

Don't fool yourself, though -- claiming that something is "indecent"
just because it's graphic is a matter of personal perspective, not of
absolutist principles.

--
Chad

(PS:  I'm breaking with my usual standard of bottom-posting for clarity,
here.  The reason is simply that I don't want to cut out context, but
also don't want to force anyone to scroll a page and a half down to find
my response.  My apologies for top-posting.)