[WikiEN-l] Re: Avoiding offence without censorship

Lothar Kimmeringer wikipedia at kimmeringer.de
Mon Feb 14 00:10:47 UTC 2005

prelude: Irony might occur.

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:20:09 +0000, Christiaan Briggs wrote:

> Here're some technical ideas for dealing with potentially offensive
> content:
>
> - Tag "potentially offensive" content for downstream censorship.
>
> - When someone creates an account on Wikipedia they can check a "hide
> potentially offensive content from immediate view" option, which can be
> overridden when reading an article.

I would do it the other way. Pages with aforementioned tag lead
to a warning-message that you have to confirm. To get it away
permanently you can register yourself and active
[ ] show me the filthy things without warning
Otherwise it might look like that you have to register to
Wikipedia to be "secure".

> - As Skyring suggested, a one-time cookie-based splash screen when
> navigating to a page with "potentially offensive" content, for those
> not logged in.

People might argue that you can be shocked by a second page
after being prepared for the first, so the warning should be
on every page tagged.

> - Print versions of Wikipedia could simply include or not include
> "potentially offensive" content. If both were printed one would be for
> the squeamish and one for everyone else.

You mean like the way all other encyclopaedias are published?

Regards, Lothar
Lothar Kimmeringer                E-Mail: spamfang at kimmeringer.de

                 questions!