[WikiEN-l] Admins who abuse their powers

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 00:02:26 UTC 2005

> It seems pretty obvious to me that Mikkelai's claim that the name-space was
> not deleted, so he can write a new article in it, is just an attempt to
> circumvent the vote for deletion.  Not only does this demonstrate bad
> faith; it sets a bad precedent.  Anyone who was invested in any deleted
> article can just bring it back and write some more.  And others would once
> again go through the lengthy process of a vote for deletion.

The VfD process is five days, which is hardly "lengthy."

> Perhaps we need not always permanently delete a name space -- maybe in some
> cases, a moratorium of half a year or a year would suffice.  But I think we
> need a clear policy on this: the name spaces of articles deleted are either
> deleted as well, or protected for some significant period.

It is not correct to refer to the name of a deleted page as "name
space." Namespaces are things that contain names not the names
themselves. I do think it is OK for someone to create an article with
the same name as a previously deleted one as long as the new article
isn't more or less a copy of the deleted one. Ofcourse people are free
to place the new article on VfD too. I don't think the VfD process
creates final decisions for what should be in Wikipedia, I don't think
it should either.

> In the meantime, what kind of action can be taken in this case?  The

Should any any action be taken? What about the admin that
"extra-judicially" deleted the page?

--
mvh Björn