[WikiEN-l] Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Sun Feb 13 22:08:21 UTC 2005

Robert said:
> Some people have been talking about putting explicit images
> of sexual activities on Wikipedia.  Still images are being
> discussed just for now - but what about when we get more
> bandwidth and server space?  Will some people also want to
> put on actual videos of these sexual practices?

Yes, a good modern online encyclopedia should almost certainly consider
including movies.  I seem to recall that Encarta had movies for some topic
as far back as 1994.
Things have changed somewhat in the past twenty years or so.  The sale of
the very successful sexually explicit educational video, The Lovers'
Guide, through mainstream high street bookstores in 1991 under an 18
certificate showed that the general public is receptive to well presented
informational movies on sexual topics.  Obviously Wikipedia isn't a "How
to" guide of that type, but where a movie would be useful and one is
available under GFDL it should be considered.