[WikiEN-l] Possible copyright violation of Wikipedia content by Infoslurp.com

Bobby Maisnam maisnam at utk.edu
Wed Feb 9 15:58:53 UTC 2005

Stacey,

I just have a couple of more questions/notes:

[1] So, is it ok to display Google AdSense on the website? This
would basically mean that the website is earning revenue from
Wikipedia content.

[2] And the website also removes the "Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia" text from the page title tags and the "From
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia" text from the pages.

[3] The main website [ http://www.infoslurp.com/ ] does not have
any links to the Wikipedia content [
http://www.infoslurp.com/information/ ] section. It has
information about "Hair Transplants" and points the user to
another website. In fact, on the main website, it does not
mention anything about Wikipedia or the Wikipedia section.

The only advantage that I see is that it is providing Wikipedia
content on a different website. That way it might be contributing
in decreasing the bandwith load on the actual Wikipedia website.
But what good is such a "mirror" (not sure if it an actual
mirror) if it is hidden and the only way you can get to it is to
stumble upon it accidentally?

To me, it seems to be a clear case of trying to make money out of
Wikipedia content using questionable methods.

Comments are welcome.

- Bobby