[WikiEN-l] A counterpoint to the mobilization of Stormfront

Catherine Munro artslave at usa.net
Wed Feb 9 13:09:23 UTC 2005

OK, so it's not nearly as compelling as Neo-Nazis breathing hard outside
the door, but I ran across this today on the "Excessive Sweating and Facial
Blushing" site (it was linked from the talk page of another WP user):

A group with an agenda (opposition to a drastic type of surgery to treat
sweating disorders) discovered Wikipedia, said, "hey, we can support our
agenda there"...."but wait, they have an NPOV policy"...."that's ok, we can
do that"..."in fact, let's invite the doctors who support the treatment to
come work on it"....
http://www.esfbchannel.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=ETS_General&action=display&num=1100250508

And now, two months later, we have a fairly balanced little article on
[[Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy]], which the group is now telling other
ETS/anti-ETS sites they can use and copy (WITH proper GFDL linking and
credit, no less!):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endoscopic_thoracic_sympathectomy

Obviously these are rational people, and not ideologues of any stripe --
still, I thought it would be a nice bit of evidence that the system /does/
usually work.  :)

Catherine